Search This Blog

Thursday 7 August 2014

PRONOUN CASES

ANALYSIS OF THE LAST PROBLEMS
When we are faced with this kind of problem,  the simple logic is: Break the sentence into two or three depending on the number of used pronouns and try to fix the pronouns in the spaces provided, whilst noticing the function(s) of the pronouns in each of the sentences.

Remember that in our last lesson, we said the following are:
Nominative - I, you, he, she, it, we, they, who. (They can only be used as SUBJECTS)
Objective - me, you, him, her, it, us, them, whom. (They can only be used as OBJECTS)
Possessive - my, mine, his, her, hers, its, our, ours, their, theirs, your, yours, whose. (They show possessions).

Let's practice it here:
(1) The man slapped ............. (a) you and me            (b) you and I                (c) me and she
If we look at the options, the only option that has two Nominative pronouns is option A
So, if we break the sentence down into two:

(a) The man slapped you.
(b) The man slapped me.


 It would be wrong to say, for example, using option B to say:
(a) The man slapped I. (X)

Try this method on question 2 and guess the correct answer.
(2) ....... and ....... ate the food.      (a) He and her          (b) He and she           (c) Him and her

Questions 3 & 4 combine the three pronoun cases: nominative, objective and possessive. Study the pronouns again, try the method above and guess the correct answer.
(3) When both ...... and ........ dog came in, I saw that ......... tail has been cut off.
       (a) he/his/it           (b) him/his/its           (c) he/his/it's            (d) he/his/its

(4) ....... told Mrs. John that both ....... and ....... daughter may come in.
(a) She/she/her         (b) She/her/her                 (c) She/her/she                  (d) Her/her/her.

PLEASE, endeavour to leave your comments behind so I may know how well you got it. Note that you could comment as anonymous.

2 comments:

  1. Nice one there, Folarin! Go ahead and practice that method on other questions elsewhere. Please, don't hesitate to let me know if you ran into a hitch. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete